Home / News / Turkey, Iran roundly designated as top Arab threat

Turkey, Iran roundly designated as top Arab threat

It is necessary to implement a unified Arab policy towards Turkey’s destructive actions in the Arab region, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Wednesday during his Arab League ministerial committee meeting.

Shoukry said Turkey’s practices and interference in multiple Arab countries’ internal affairs shape threats against the Arab national security.

He called on Arab states to coordinate in preventing Turkish interference in their internal affairs, the report said.
The minister also discussed at the meeting, which was chaired by Egypt, Turkey’s military involvement in Syria to Libya and the thousands of mercenaries Ankara sends to these war-torn countries.

Earlier in July, Turkey sent 25,000 mercenaries to Libya which included 17,000 Syrian militants, 2,500 Tunisians and other nationalities, including Sudanese, the report said.

In related news Saudi Arabia’s Foreign Minister Faisal bin Farhan said the Arab region is facing serious threats from the Iranian regime, through its “continuous violations of international laws, charters and norms,” national Yemeni media Saba New has reported.

Farhan, who was speaking at a virtual Arab League session on Wednesday, has emphasized the Kingdom’s continuous support towards a political solution in conflict-torn Yemen.

He said the Kingdom is pursuing efforts to achieve security and stability in Yemen, in line with other regional and international channels including the Gulf Initiative and several UN initiatives.

He urged the international community to deter the Iran-backed Houthi group and their violent attacks targeting crucial areas in Saudi Arabia such as airports.

Yemeni Foreign Minister Mohammed Al-Hadrami echoed Farhan’s statements against Iran, saying it “had caused Yemen and the region great damage since it devoted the its peoples’ resources to fund militias outside its territories in flagrant interventions in the Arab countries’ internal affairs.”

He said the Houthis have been rejecting all international peace initiatives and efforts, particularly citing the Stockholm Agreement which was signed in 2018.

“We have come to realize today that Stockholm Agreement has proved useless, produced nothing due to Houthi militia’s intransigence. It is turned into a new phase of escalation, further exacerbating the Yemeni peoples suffering,” Al-Hadrami added.

The minister thanked the Saudi-led Arab Coalition for its support to the Yemeni people in countering the Houthi group’s actions in the country.

Source: Arab News

Total Page Visits: 358 - Today Page Visits: 3

Check Also

The innovation system of Uzbekistan is being modernized

The World Bank (WB) supports Uzbekistan’s investment in research and commercialization of innovations. The World …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *