Home / News / Rockets kill six at protest in Libya’s Benghazi against U.N. deal

Rockets kill six at protest in Libya’s Benghazi against U.N. deal

The Levant News — At least six people were killed and dozens more injured in Libya’s second city Benghazi on Friday when rockets hit a protest against a U.N. proposal for a unity government to end a political crisis, medical sources said.

Four years after the fall of Muammar Gaddafi, Libya is caught in a conflict that pits the internationally recognized government and its armed backers against a rival government set up by an armed alliance that took over the capital last year.

More than 2,000 people had taken to Benghazi’s al-Keesh square to demonstrate against the U.N. proposal when at least seven rockets hit the crowds, the hospital sources said. Around 25 more were wounded.

Benghazi has become one front in Libya’s multi-sided war, with General Khalifa Haftar’s Libyan National Army forces fighting an alliance of Islamist fighters and former anti-Gaddafi rebels.

Indiscriminate shelling and rockets sometimes hit civilian areas in the city, which is split into areas controlled by the rival armed factions. In some neighborhoods, life continues as usual, with banks and restaurants open, while fighting has reduced other areas to rubble.

The United Nations has presented a proposal for a national unity government between the two main political factions to end the chaos, but attempts to reach a deal have stalled as both sides face resistance from within their ranks.

Source: Reuters

About The Levant

Check Also

Trump in Saudi on first foreign trip

By Jeff Mason and Steve Holland | RIYADH for Reuters — Dogged by controversy at home, …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *