Home / News / Yemen / Red Cross warns on mass hunger in Yemen, Somalia
Children receive a meal at a school through the World Food Programme (WFP) in the drought-hit Baligubadle village near Hargeisa, the capital city of Somaliland, in this handout picture provided by The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on March 15, 2017. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies/Handout via REUTERS.

Red Cross warns on mass hunger in Yemen, Somalia

GENEVA – There is a window of only three to four months to avert mass starvation in Yemen and Somalia, plagued by conflict and drought, the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) said on Wednesday in an appeal for funding.
More than 20 million people in four countries – Yemen, Somalia, South Sudan and northeast Nigeria – face famine. “We have probably a window of three to four months to avoid a worst case scenario,” ICRC director of operations worldwide Dominik Stillhart told a news briefing.
Robert Mardini, ICRC regional director for the Middle East, said that an ICRC team who provided aid to wounded refugees after a deadly helicopter attack on their boat off the Yemen coast last Friday had collected “evidence” which had been shared with the Saudi-led coalition as well as the Houthi side.

Source: Reuters

Check Also

Oil rises as Saudi attack underscores geopolitical risk premium

Oil advanced in London after an attack on Saudi Arabian tankers heightened concern over disruption …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *