THE LEVANT – On Friday the political Bloc “Diyala our identity,” led by Parliament Speaker Salim al-Jubouri, withdrew from negotiations to form the new government because of the attack on the mosque Musab bin Omair in Diyala province, which resulted in the killing of dozens of worshipers, calling for the union of the national forces to take a similar position.
MP of the Bloc Nahida Daini said, in an interview for The Levant, that “The block of Diyala identity withdrew today of the ongoing negotiations to form the new government because of the recurrence of attacks on mosques in the province of Diyala, which claimed the lives of hundreds of people .The latest of which was today’s attack on the mosque of Musab bin Omair.”
Dani explained that the bloc “require opening a just investigation of the case, bringing the perpetrators to justice and the arrest of the commander of the regiment in charge of the region in exchange for the return to the negotiations,” calling the National Union of Forces “to withdraw from the negotiations as well.”
Daini considered what happened in the mosque as “not a passing incident,” pointing out that “there is an authority above the authority of the law and the state in Diyala province.”
A police source in Diyala province said earlier today that more than 30 civilians had been killed and wounded in an armed attack targeted worshipers at the mosque of Musab bin Omair east of Baquba.
It is noteworthy that the list of “Diyala our identity,” which is led by the current head of the House of Representatives Saleem al-Jubouri won the first place in Diyala province, the parliamentary elections that took place last April after gaining five seats in the province. Last June, they joined to the Union of the national forces which constitute coalitions: united Arab and loyalty to Inbar, as well as independent deputies.