THE LEVANT – Three more Saudis have died of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), while a new case has surfaced, the Ministry of Health said on Thursday.
Two of the deaths took place in Al-Kharj, 60 kilometers away from Riyadh, and the third in Taif. The latest casualties were two women aged 84 and 70 and a 99-year-old man.
In Riyadh, a 45-year-old expatriate woman who had been battling the coronavirus for a few days was discharged on Wednesday, the ministry said.
The MOH raised the total number of MERS cases in the Kingdom since September 2012 to 808, of which 346 patients have died.
Some 450 patients have recovered from the illness, while 12 are currently being treated at various hospitals.
The World Health Organization (WHO), in its latest update on Nov. 7, 2014, said the global number of MERS cases since 2012 has surpassed 900. In addition to the Saudi death toll, about 20 MERS deaths have been reported in other countries.