Home / News / Houthis blamed for scuttling Sweden deal

Houthis blamed for scuttling Sweden deal

For months since the peace deal on Yemen reached in Sweden last December, Houthis have been stalling to implement it, said the Gulf News in an editorial on Saturday.

“Under the deal, the Houthis agreed to a ceasefire and to pull out all their forces from the port city of Hodeidah,” it continued, adding, “However, they have not done so and apparently are not planning to cede control of the port city at all.”

The local daily said, “On Wednesday the head of the rebels’ Supreme Revolutionary Committees, Al Houthi Mohammad Ali Al Houthi, said despite agreeing to withdraw their forces from the city they will remain in control.

“A spokesman for Yemen’s internationally-recognised government called his comments a ‘declaration of war’.

“Rajeh Badi said at a press conference on Wednesday that such remarks risk igniting vicious fighting once again in Hodeidah, the fourth-largest city in Yemen and a key entry point for international aid into the war-torn country. He also said they violate the tentative peace agreement reached by the two sides in Sweden late last year.”

“The Saudi-led coalition fighting Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen has repeatedly said that the militants have violated the Sweden deal – which calls for their withdrawal from the Hodeidah port among other things – more than 970 times. Warnings issued by UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Dr. Anwar bin Mohammed Gargash, over Houthi breaches have gone unheeded,” the English language daily continued.

It said, “International players and the United Nations must put the onus on Houthis for their repeated violations of the Sweden agreement. For anyone following the Yemen conflict, it is clear that Houthis do not respect any agreements. They often exploit peace talks and temporary truces to gain the time and space to re-arm and regroup after suffering military losses on the battlefield.

“The Yemeni government and Arab coalition have pointed out a pattern of Houthis engaging in talks only to break the terms later on. If they are not held to account then the prospects of a lasting peace deal will only diminish. The latest comments do not bode well for a peaceful resolution of the issue of Hodeidah. The government maintains that Houthis use the port to smuggle in weapons from Iran to sustain their war efforts.”

“Government forces halted an offensive to wrest the city out of Houthi hands, but they are entitled to resume their fight now that Houthis have made it clear they have no intention of implementing the Sweden deal,” the Dubai-based daily concluded.

Source: WAM

Check Also

OPEC to maintain balanced policy, say Saudis

Ibrahim al-Muhanna, an adviser to the Saudi energy minister, said on Friday he expected the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: