Home / Exclusive / Egypt’s Brotherhood refutes violence claims in statement

Egypt’s Brotherhood refutes violence claims in statement

THE LEVANT – Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood has refuted accusations by Egyptian security authorities of forming “cells” to sabotage power facilities across the country.

“We have nothing to do with the allegations made by police and army spokespersons and their allied media figures,” the Brotherhood said in a statement on Sunday.

The statement came in response to an Interior Ministry statement that it had identified six Brotherhood cells plotting to sabotage power facilities in six provinces.

The Brotherhood movement also said it was not linked to a recent video in which a group of masked armed men vow to target policemen on Saturday.

“Organizations promoting violence are mere tricks made by security agencies,” the Muslim Brotherhood, the movement from which ousted president Mohamed Morsi hails, said.

“The Brotherhood underline the fact that it has nothing to do with the violence it is accused of,” the movement added in a statement.

On Thursday, a group of armed men, clad in black, appeared in a video and vowed to target policemen.

The masked men, who flashed the four-fingered Rabaa sign, which commemorates hundreds of supporters of the ousted president killed in a bloody eastern Cairo sit-in dispersal last year, carried machine guns and said they would target policemen in the southern part of the Egyptian capital.

“We are fed up with the peacefulness of the Muslim Brotherhood,” one of the masked armed men said in the video. “We are not Muslim Brotherhood anyway,” the man added.

The Levant could not immediately obtain comments from the authorities. The authorities accuse, however, the Muslim Brotherhood of committing violence. They also designated the movement a “terrorist” movement late last year.

Even with this, the National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, the main bloc backing Morsi, said in a statement on Friday that it rejects any form of violence or militancy.

Supporters of ousted president Mohamed Morsi have staged protests across the country over the weekend to mark the first anniversary of the security forces’ bloody dispersal of two pro-Morsi sit-ins in Cairo’s Rabaa al-Adawiya and Giza’s Nahda squares, leaving hundreds of protesters killed and thousands wounded.

In its Sunday statement, the Brotherhood hailed the “magnificent revolutionary spirit” shown during the protests.

The National Alliance for the Defense of Legitimacy, Morsi’s main support bloc, said that at least 14 people were killed on Thursday and Friday when security forces used force to break up the protests.

Morsi, a Muslim Brotherhood leader who won Egypt’s first free presidential election in 2012, was ousted by the military in July of last year following protests against his single year in office.

About The Levant

Check Also

Mueller unlawfully obtained emails, Trump transition team says

An organization that was part of President Trump’s transition team claimed Saturday that special counsel …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *